lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: SLANG for DOS port of lynx

From: vtailor
Subject: lynx-dev Re: SLANG for DOS port of lynx
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 07:22:45 -0500 (CDT)

>     * From: Bill Schiavo <address@hidden>
>     * Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 14:19:20 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Hello Everyone.  I submitted a patch for slang to be used with the dos
>port of Lynx but did not get any kind of reaction.  Okay, It was not the
>best patch but it worked.  I will take a look at your patch and see how
>well it works.  Maybe I can contribute to it in some way.
>
>Bye the way, the patch I submitted was for slang version 0.99.38.

Which has since been superceded by three or four releases.  You know
that initalize key translations call in the latest Windows versions
of slang?  Well, I had suggested that the author use an initialize
mouse call instead of issuing the Linux escape sequence, and in
strange revenge, the author put in an initialize key translations
routine that really has no other purpose except to make the
uninitiated wonder why lynx doesn't respond to pageup, uparrow, etc.,
under Windows.

>> For a while the INSTALLATION file has mentioned the possibility of using
>> SLANG with the DOS port, but I don't know if anyone has actually done
>> it. This patch is a first attempt at getting SLANG to work with the DOS
>> port. I wasn't able to get SLang_getkey to work for the extended keys
>> and instead used the DJGPP funtion getxkeys, which required further
>> modification of the DOSRAWKEYHACK section. Color seems to be on at all
>> times with this port, regardless of the color settings in the option
>> menu.

And now for the big question:  Is DGJPP for Dos really Dos?  Because
you can't compile DJGPP code under Borland or Microsoft compilers for
Dos, and the code doesn't port to 16-bit Windows.