lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Character Set Question

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Character Set Question
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 02:03:45 -0400 (EDT)

980404 Jason Castonguay wrote:
> On my ISP's shell account, they are using Lynx version 2.6.
> in this Version, you can choose "IBM PC Char Set" as an option
> for the "C(h)aracter set" in the Options menu.  On my own machine
> running Linux, I have version 2.8 Rel.2.  This character set was not
> one of the options listed.  I'm just curious as to why this is.
> I found it useful, because I connect to my Linux machine
> via IBM computer terminal.

as no-one more knowledgeable has offerred a reply, i'll do my bit.
there was discussion of this on lynx-dev a couple of months ago
-- i think in connection with release of 2-8: around then -- ,
which resulted in deletion of `IBM PC Char Set' as obsolete
given the presence nowadays of other suitable character sets.
so have a look in the Archive around February;
it should also be in the Changes listings somewhere.