lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx for WIN 3.1?

From: vtailor
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx for WIN 3.1?
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:44:28 -0500 (CDT)

>     * From: address@hidden (for address@hidden)
>     * Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:13:14 -0500 (CDT)
>>>
>>>Since every machine running Windows v3.10 is also running DOS, you can of
>>>course use the DOS version of Lynx, but I don't think this will help you with
>>>AOL.
>>
>>That would be just ideal, under two circumstances: 1. You have something
>>like the UMSLIP dialup program that loads itself into high memory and
>>pretends to be a network card or 2.  You have some kind of a Dos interface
>>to winsock.dll.
>>
>Actually, the easy windows systems of Borland and Microsoft have some
>interesting limitations when it comes to porting Dos apps that use color
>text.  You get the impression that MS issued an edict against such color
>ports for Windows 3 and 3.1.
>
>After attempting to use the Borland easy windows to do color text, by
>grabbing its window handle and attempting to set text color (didn't
>work), I resurrected an old `stdiolib' system that I did as an adjunct
>to a Pascal interpreter for Windows and am bringing it up to date so
>that it accepts, e. g., win32 console color.  It uses Turbo Pascal
>console function calls and C stdio functions.  (Note that
>fprintf(stdout, ...); works correctly.) The next step is to get
>it to work with libcurses or libslang under Win3/3.1, which probably
>involves some rearrangement of the internal code for reading keys.
>
>Some other problems are how to protect the library from unauthorized
>commercial use and whether there are any fine points about using it to
>port GNU and GNUish apps to Win3/3.1.
>
>The following test program actually runs in 16-bit mode:
>(coniotst.c)
(Enclosed is a more interesting version of this program.)

#include <windows.h>
#include "e:\src\wstdio\wstdio.h"

#define FOREGROUND_BLUE (1)
#define FOREGROUND_GREEN        (2)
#define FOREGROUND_RED  (4)
#define FOREGROUND_INTENSITY    (16)
#define BACKGROUND_BLUE (16)
#define BACKGROUND_GREEN        (32)
#define BACKGROUND_RED  (64)
#define BACKGROUND_INTENSITY    (128)

int MAIN_(int argc, char **argv)
{
  int index, nX, ch;
  SetColor(0x70);
  ClrScr();

  for (index=1; index <= 25; index++)
        {
        Delay(1000);
        SetColor((index % 16) + (((index + 1) % 16) << 4));
         ClrScr();
         SetColor(0x7);
         GoToXY(35, index);
/*      fprintf(stdout, "Hello world"); also works: */
         printf("Hello world");
        SetColor((index % 16) + (((index + 1) % 16) << 4));
         GoToXY(1, index+1);
         for (nX = 0; nX < 80; nX++)
          printf("%d", nX % 10);
         ch = getch();