lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev SCROLL_STEP

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev SCROLL_STEP
Date: 25 Apr 1998 12:27:15 -0600

p> In a recent note, David Combs said:

>> Yeah, the digits are already committed -- but just the simplest
>> possible "parsing" will disambiguate the desired meaning:
>> 45<newline>     go to [45]
>> 45<someCommand><newline>    do <someCommand> 45 times.

p> If I perceive correctly, most of the digits (except 0) are also
p> immediate commands, so you must say, at least:

p>    045<someCommand><newline>

It had not been my intention that SCROLL_STEP would be a function or
keyboard command like 123p or 123g are, but that would be a setting in
lynx.cfg that would change the behavior of ( and ) or ^N and ^P to
scroll SCROLL_STEP lines rather than 2.

Anyway, it was only a halfhearted suggestion, since I don't have time
to do it myself, and I'm personally more or less satisfied with how (
and ) work now.  IMHO we currently have a problem with demands for
penny-ante features when we should be concentrating on cleaning up
existing code so that major features like table support and
generalized pathname handling can be added in the medium-to-long term,
and on cleaning up support for minor platforms like OS/2 (which I'll
get to after the semester ends) and mingw32.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |