lynx-dev

PRINTER, EXTERNAL, etc (was Re: lynx-dev suggestions for new features)

From: Michael Warner
Subject: PRINTER, EXTERNAL, etc (was Re: lynx-dev suggestions for new features)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 00:33:02 -0700

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998, David Combs <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: Michael Warner <address@hidden>
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 22, 1998, John E. Davis <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > I would like the ability to pipe the web page to a pager.  Does this
> > > functionality already exist?
> >
> > Sort of, but not exactly - I defined one of the print options in
> > lynx.cfg to be a pager.  I use it on source when it's too wide for my

        [...]

> Here is my lynx printing "screen":
>
>    [1]Save to a local file
>    [2]Mail the file
>    [3]Print to the screen

        [...]

>  Please give an actual EXAMPLe of doing your
> definition, totally spoon-fed, so we can
> see exactly how to do it.

Who, me?  I just fumble around at random until something works, or I
quit in disgust.  If someone who actually knows what they're doing were
to put up a cookbook of PRINTER: , EXTERNAL: , etc. recipes, that would
be very cool.

But until they do...

PRINTER:View with less:less %s:TRUE
PRINTER:Mail the page with Mutt:${HOME}/bin/mutt -i %s %s:TRUE
        '-i %s' includes the page as the body of the message
        '-a %s' would make it a MIME attachment
        the second %s prompts for a filename which is used as the To:
                address
        using '.../mutt -(i|a) %s -s %s address@hidden:TRUE' uses the
                second %s's prompted-for filename as the Subject:, and
                address@hidden as a dummy To: address, which can then be
                changed in mutt.
        using '.../mutt -(i|a) %s %s address@hidden' uses the second
                '%s' as a second To: address

PRINTER:Via the local printer:cat %s | $HOME/bin/ansiprt:TRUE
        for some reason, I got pine's print utility in here instead of
                lpansi, but it works for me, telnetting over a LAN from
                PC to unix box.

EXTERNAL:mailto:${HOME}/bin/scripts/lxmail.sh %s:TRUE
        lxmail.sh is a little two-liner script that strips the
                'mailto:' off the URL, and passes the address to mutt:

                #!/bin/sh
                #lxmail.sh called by lynx EXTERNAL for mailto:'s
                #receives 'mailto:address@hidden' as it's argument
                ADD=`echo $1 | cut -f2 -d:`
                ${HOME}/bin/mutt ${ADD}

The biggest problem, it seems to me, is knowing what's being passed as
'%s'.  It'd be nice to have '%p' for the page to include, '%u' for the
current URL, and like that there...

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>