lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev TEXTAREA (was Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums")

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TEXTAREA (was Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums")
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:49:47 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Fri Apr 24 08:52:12 1998
> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:13:43 -0600 (MDT)
>
> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:
> [snip]
> > The problem of course is how do we in a text window implement textarea
> > in such a way that one can _leave_ the textarea.  Any control
> > character chosen means that character can not easily be used within
> > the textarea itself.
> [snip]
>
> Perhaps the textarea code could be left intact, except for one additional
> key which invokes the external editor on a file containing the textarea
> contents. That way arbitrary-sized text can be entered, and we don't have
> to make a scrolling text widget for Lynx. When the user finishes editing
> and returns to Lynx, the file would be read and used as the new contents
> of the textarea.
>
> Would this satisfy the standards?

For "mail", I use the standard unix "mail" command.

So when I receive eg a msg from lynx-dev, and I want to
reply to it, I hit "r", which starts me typing into
a buffer or something, I guess, and gives me several
commands I can execute, each of them preceeded by
a char that is tilde as default, but I can redefine  it
to whatever I want, eg vertical bar.

One of those commands ie "e", given via ~e or for me |e
when at the beginning of a line, and which gets me into
whatever is defined to be my favorite editor; for mail,
I use vi, since it is instant to start up, and I already
know it.

Why not use the SAME scheme for lynx textareas?

That is, the SAME scheme that unix MAIL uses?  Far better
than inventing something new and different!

We can even refer people to the man page for mail for doc!
(smile).