lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev suggestions for new features

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev suggestions for new features
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:16:15 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Wed Apr 22 22:42:53 1998
> From: address@hidden
> <snip>
> Equally, a backward string search.  I've just found the twentieth
> occurrence, then impulsively pressed on to the twenty-first.  I
> recognize then that the previous one was perfect, but how do I
> get back there.  I'd suggest "N" for backward search, as opposed
> to "n" for forward.

Unfortanutely, "?" is already in use, for "help".

And is Kernighan's "Software Tools" book's method,
of a back-slash.

Of course, we COULD do like emacs and vi and have MULTLIPLE-CHARACTER
commands, which would open a wide door for future commands.

And, just how often do we use "\"; certainly not 100th as often
as we use h, j, k, and l.

It wouldn't be fatal to grab back some of these one-character cmds,
and turn them into eg two-char cmds.

Emacs uses ESC as the prefix char for multiple-char commands,
and vi uses ":".  Why not copy one of those?

Just yet another submission of an idea that I have submitted
many times before...