lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Post, Get prompt... plus bad html errors

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Post, Get prompt... plus bad html errors
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 12:11:17 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what Matt Ackeret said:

> Could someone please explain to me why the
> Redirection of POST content. P)roceed, see U)RL, use G)ET or C)ancel
> prompt comes up?

I believe that the basic issue is one of privacy or information
security.  When you submitted a form with method POST, you agreed
to disclose the information in the form fields to _someone_,
i.e. the server that served you the form.  Redirection
potentially discloses sensitive information to someone else.
These form fields may contain information that you would not
agree to disclose to just anyone.  Junk mail houses, credit card
fraud rings, etc.

Lynx can't make distinctions about post content; it merely knows
that there is an issue.  That is why it raises this choice.

For more detail you would have to go to the IETF HTTP documents
and working group, where these issues get discussed extensively.

Al