lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV www.us.mensa.org or was it .com ?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV www.us.mensa.org or was it .com ?
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 23:48:15 +0100 (BST)

> I was thinking that there could be some javascript hacks using the concept
> of imagemap code as a base, but then I realized that javascript is usually
> <!-- commented out -->.  I can't remember *blush*, does lynx do anything

It's only commented out to a reader that doesn't know the DTD declaration
for script, otherwise it is part of a CDATA field.

> with text that is in comments or does it just throw it away until the
> other end shows up?

I'm not sure if Lynx understands this use of CDATA, but, if it doesn't,
it will need to, because of style sheets.

My view on Javascript programs masquerading as HTML is that you should
use a GUI browser on them, as one is generally fighting a losing battle
to attempt to render them in any meaningful way on a text mode browser.

Failing that, one should try to recognise those created by authoring
tools, by pattern matching the whole, rather than parsing them, and
try to reconstruct the parameters to the authoring tool.  This would
mean tracking all the commonly used authoring tool templates for these
things.