lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV SunOS 4, crl.com, and NSL_FORK

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SunOS 4, crl.com, and NSL_FORK
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 19:31:35 -0400 (EDT)

> Ummm.  Too bad.  The child crashes, then the parent feels compelled
> to try again, and itself crash.  I'd attempt to fix this and bypass
> the retry by the parent if the child crashes.  But I'm mystified:
> Why did waitpid() get status 0x0 for the child?  I'm pretty much a
> novice at process management.  Can anyone explain this to me?
There's two parts - did the child exit with a 0, and does waitpid get
the right code.  I just added some code to my pending copy that assumes
that the lookup returned a bogus value (length=0), and that's the cause.
If so, it'll check that & return a 1.

(If not, then there's a bug in the waitpid configuration - but we'll figure
that out sooner or later).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden