lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Who do you download from lynx on the road?

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Who do you download from lynx on the road?
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 23:22:40 -0500 (GMT-0500)

Please note the general Lynx distribution will not compile on a Mac,
there are separate Mac binaries listed at:

        http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/binaries.html

(as an aside, perhaps we should converse with the author of MacLynx Ol
Gutknecht on the possibility of bringing the MacLynx source into the
general Lynx distribution, perhaps before it diverges a whole lot.  This
coming from someone who has no idea whether it's even possible.)

There are a number of ways you can download MacLynx to your computer.

If you are using PPP, you can use another browser (MacWeb, Netscape, etc.)
to go to the URL listed above, and download the MacLynx binary.

If you have an FTP client (Fetch) you can go to the following URL:

        ftp://ftp.unsw.edu.au/pub/mac/beta-sw/mac-lynx-b1-fat.bin

and download MacLynx.

If you do not have a web browser or an ftp client on your computer, but do
have a recent version of NCSA Telnet (or BetterTelnet), you can download
Lynx in the following manner:

* Use Lynx on your ISP's computer (within a telnet session) to download a
  copy of MacLynx.
* MacLynx is now on your account on trfn.clpgh.  Quit Lynx and go back to
  the Unix prompt.
* Find the Edit --> Preferences menu in NCSA Telnet, and turn on the FTP
  server, with no passwords required.
  apple key and type an F.
* This will open a FTP session from trfn.clpgh to your Mac (which is
  running the FTP server built into NCSA Telnet).
* Switch to binary transfer mode by typing "bin" at the ftp prompt.
* Transfer the file with the command "put maclynxbeta1.sit.bin"
* Once the transfer is over, quit ftp with the command "quit".

You should now have a copy of the Stuffit archive containing MacLynx in
your Hard Drive.

If you do not have PPP, but have a terminal communication software
(Zmodem, Kermit, MacTerm etc.) you can use it to connect to your ISP's
computer, launch Lynx, and use the DOWNLOADER defenitions to download to
the local machine using Kermit/Zmodem (most terminal packages have support
for one or both of these transfer protocols).

If you have any further questions, please contact me directly since your
query is only remotely related to the lynx-dev list.