lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG

From: Jan Hlavacek
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 00:09:13 -0400

On Mon, Apr 06, 1998 at 12:27:26AM +0100, Rob wrote:
> Philip Webb wrote:
> >
> > amid all the speechifying, there is a perfectly good question:
> > what should Lynx do if it encounters some other tag within  <PRE>...</PRE> ?

Let see what lynx does.

This is what I see with the SGML parser:

blabla
blabla

heading

   blabla blabla

and this is what I get with tag soup:

blabla
blabla

heading

blabla
blabla

> Ideally?  Follow the DTD and insert the implied </PRE>.
> Realistically?  Whatever the user is expecting it to do...
>
> > that could be discussed, but there's a genuine point of debate here,
> > which is currently being ignored.
>
> As far as "correctness" goes, there's no point of debate - the authoritative
> description of anything you call text/html is the DTD from W3C, and that
> says you can't have Hx inside PRE.  My personal opinion is that lynx shouldn't
> contribute to the tag-soup mentality by ignoring incorrect markup.  However,
> I'm a self-confessed purist who doesn't really browse the web as such (I visit
> about three sites occasionally), so I suspect I'm in a minority.  I'd prefer
> lynx to "do it right", but I'm not averse to lynx "doing it usefully" instead.

and,   as you can see above,  lynx can do both.  I personaly don't use
the tag soup parser that often,  but every once a while I come upon a
form which can't be used with the sgml parser.

The only question is what is lynx going to do with page where someone
puts <Hn> ... </Hn> inside <pre>,  and later puts another <pre> and
fogets the closing tag.   :-)

lahvak
--
Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek