lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Downloading a whole web site for local offline browsing

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Downloading a whole web site for local offline browsing
Date: 02 Apr 1998 10:03:49 -0600

>> Not a _direct_ flame to people asking for this... mind you... just
>> please _consider_ that if you write any tools that do this. Things
>> like MOMspider at least _wait_ 5-10 seconds between fetches! Those

DW> That's an option in wget, but not the default.

Actually, I thought a 5 second pause between requests was the default
with wget.  If not, it should be.

>> assholes from "Black Widow" and MicroShaft do NOT... so they
>> load down the server like there was no tomorrow. But, why not...
>> it's all free. May they roast in hell.

DW> Generally commercial software providers pander to customer wants,
DW> not the best interests of the network (see also the comment about
DW> active content above).

I'm not even sure they can be said to pander to customer wants;
generally they seem to try to create customer wants, particularly
where the customer can't be expected to know what they want.  I think
if people understood proxy caches, they'd want them, but neither
service providers nor commercial software providers seem to be jumping
to produce them---I don't know of any _non_ free proxy caches.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                   (R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |