lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Help files

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Help files
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 21:15:00 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what T.E.Dickey said:

> > Can we get Configure to take control of this, so that if the help
> > files are locally installed the site-wide lynx.cfg points there?
> I'll have to understand what it'll look like (maybe too many hours this
> week, but I don't have it in my head).  It sounds like you want an option
> to specify the web-address for the help-files which would supplement the
> directory-path where they're actually installed.  So the
> configure/build/install
> would be still integrated (I run complicated sets of options from a script,
> e.g., cfg-lynx):
>       configure \
>               --prefix=/lynx/current/lynx-2-8 \
>               --with-help-path=http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/lynx2-8

Not quite.

What I was suggesting could be expressed by

either
                --install-help   # puts help tree in usual place
or
                --install-help-in=/lynx/current/lynx-2-8

The http: URL for retrieval from the distribution breakout goes
in the lynx.cfg file that applies if neither of these directives
is invoked.  If either of these directives is invoked, then the
active LYNX_HELP_FILE value in lynx.cfg is edited to show a file:
URL to the installed local help tree.

Al

Padon my possibly fractured syntax for Configure options