lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV unanswered queries (2)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: LYNX-DEV unanswered queries (2)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 18:55:20 -0500 (EST)

980307 Randall wrote:
> I just installed lynx-2.7.2 and I have run across a bug
> where the G/oto history list contained the wrong item.
> Specifically, i did   g ftp.gnu.mit.edu :
> Oops, not quite the right hostname, need to edit to  ftp.gnu.ai.mit.edu
> When i 'g' again and hit up arrow, i get
>   file://localhost/home/randall/ftp.gnu.mit.edu
> one of the guesses that lynx tried for 'ftp.gnu.mit.edu',
> rather than what i typed.
>
> Unless the guessing is successfully, the history list should contain
> exactly what i typed (which will be a better base for me to edit),
> not an incorrect guess.
> I can reproduce the behavior by concocting a slightly "mis-typed" URL,
> e.g.  wig.mit.edu, why.rahul.net, www.stanford.emu, whatever.
>
> I built lynx-2.7.2 of 1998Jan06 + 272fixes of 1998Feb07 + lynx272SSLeay
> for Slackware 3.0 Linux 2.0 on i586,
> with 'make linux-ncurses' and very minor tweaking.
>
> after upgrading to 2.7 I can now go to SSL and FRAME'd sites with lynx,
> the fastest and easiest browser i've found.
> Thank you to the lynx developers for writing this most excellent browser.

this very polite & grateful user has not had a reply so far
to his useful bug report: would anyone like to try?
(i haven't checked whether 2.8 has the same behaviour).

to Randall: Lynx is supported by an international volunteer co-operative
& your message was probably overlooked in the rush to release 2.8 .
upgrade to 2.8 from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/  & test that for your bug:
if it's still there, tell us again & it may get on the list for 2.8.1 :
if you are capable of C programming, you should try doing your own patch.