lynx-dev

Re: colors (was: Re: LYNX-DEV am I too late?)

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: colors (was: Re: LYNX-DEV am I too late?)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:09:08 -0500 (EST)

> Ok, but that doesn't answer my question. As a ballpark figure, generally
> how large is a small program linked with, say, ncurses (since these
> people will be most interested in this anyways). 50K? 100K? 200K?
> I know that minicom, stripped & linked with ncurses is ~80KB... and
> there's a LOT of code. So, I figure that something that toys with the
> colors and slurps in and spits out a config file should be << 50KB.
ok (after I replied, it did occur to me that I was answering the wrong
question ;-)

But for small programs (statically linked), the libraries will tend to
dominate - your ~80k looks like it's linked against a shared library.
(I usually statically link - so minicom is bigger).

> I don't want to do this in perl because all the windoing libs I saw
> (and I did look) did NOT use ncurses that I could see. Most were
> functional (but crude) clones of ncurses... and that's NOT what we
> want here... because we want the colors picked in that program to
> be the SAME when lynx boots up... ie. create colors with the same
> engine that will use them. My thinking... could be wrong.
It'd be nice (but hard to achieve) to make the setup-program use the
code from Lynx (such as LYReadCfg.c) to guarantee that.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden