lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Do SureTrade, e.Schwab, or Wells Fargo Online work with SSL

From: Mark Mentovai
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Do SureTrade, e.Schwab, or Wells Fargo Online work with SSL?
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 19:05:37 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Matt Ackeret wrote:

> Does anyone know if Charles Schwab (e.Schwab technically), SureTrade, or
> Wells Fargo Online (inc. logging into your personal acct) work with Lynx
> and SSL?
>
> I've been hoping they do..  (Actually I think SureTrade is Java-based..
> Schwab I *think* is at least frames-based so a pain, but might be
> usable..)

I don't have accounts with any of these sites, so I can't give you a
definitive answer, but it looks like Schwab will work (I had no trouble
getting Lynx to communicate with their SSL server up to the point where it
needed a username and password.)  I also gave Datek a try, and that looks
very promising as well, but I'm confident that it will work, and it's not
critically important, so I didn't actually trade anything.  There are so
many trading sites on the 'net now that you're bound to find one that
works with Lynx.

I haven't met a site yet that was Lynx-unfriendly solely on the grounds
that it didn't like the fact that Lynx was making HTTPS connections.  The
only SSL sites that Lynx has trouble with are the ones that make use of
features such as JavaScript that would freak Lynx out over regular HTTP as
well.  The bulk of the sites out there that are well-planned and
well-designed will work just fine with Lynx, or will at least include
"seperate but equal" (hmm...) facilities for Lynx users.

> Any ideas?  I don't have an SSL-enabled version to play with yet I don't
> think.  (The local guy was gonna put it on a new shell machine, I
> haven't tried it yet to see.)

Get on his case!

-Mox

--