lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Error: Unable to connect to Remote host.

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Error: Unable to connect to Remote host.
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 11:17:53 +0000 (GMT)

> I keep getting this message "unable to connect to remote host !"
> message at the bottom, each time I try accessing any outside web sites.
>
> Hence I cannot access any outside sites.

Ask your local network manager.  On the limited evidence available you
are probably being blocked by a firewall, in which case you either need
to do one of the following:  set up CERN style proxies (see lynx.cfg
for details); build Lynx for SOCKS (see Makefile and possibly README files);
or get permission at the firewall to connect through to external sites on
port 80.  You may need to get the permission as well as the proxy support.
Generally you will have CERN style or SOCKS, but not both.