lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 12:01:15 +0900 (JST)

> > bottom line: Lynx should not hard-code any particular path to  lynx.cfg :
> > it should accept whatever path the user specifies in  userdefs.h
> > or  --libdir  (if that affects compilation a/a installation).
> the latter is what's used.

This is a real cop-out, and I apologize, but it is not possible for me to
check this in the next 3-4 days, so I speak about 2.8pre.2 and prior.

I have edited "#define LYNX_CFG_FILE" in userdefs.h _before_ running
configure to set the compiled-in location of the lynx.cfg file that Lynx
should read by default (i.e., barring a command line option or env variable
set by the user).  I have set "--libdir" option when running configure to
the place where I want to save (only save, not use) the distribution/sample
copy of lynx.cfg, i.e., the lynx.cfg file placed in the top directory of
the distribution breakout.  It has been working fine this way since the
beginning of autoconf.

What you seem to be saying is that you have "fixed" this behavior so that
now "--libdir" sets "#define LYNX_CFG_FILE", and that setting overrides any
editing of that define I may have done in userdefs.h.  Therefore to get the
behavior I want [own customized lynx.cfg file to be read by default from
a non-standard directory, i.e., different from /usr/local/lib] under the
protocol you have implemented, I should copy my customized lynx.cfg into
the top directory overwriting the distribution one, set the "--libdir" option
to the directory I want to have lynx.cfg, and then do "make install."

__Henry