lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 09:23:39 -0500 (EST)

> 980306 Thomas Dickey commented:
> > heros are temporary...
>
> until they get into the history books or (better) popular mythology ...
I hope we don't go that far.

> i don't want to change `lynx.cfg', but the PATH to it.
> what happens when i specify
>
>  configure --libdir=$HOME/lynx28/lynx2-8  [copied from my script]:
you'll get
        #define LYNX_CFG_FILE "$HOME/lynx28/lynx2-8"
in ./lynx_cfg.h
and
        libdir= $HOME/lynx28/lynx2-8
in ./makefile

The first controls what is compiled-in, and the second where the lynx.cfg
file is installed.  (I expect to see the expanded $HOME variable in both
cases.)

> is this illegal?  is it ignored?  does it affect what's compiled?
legal/used/compiled.

> does it affect only the behaviour of  make install  (which i don't do)?
> what happens if i edit  lynx_cfg.h  to give my path for  LYNX_CFG_FILE ?
>
> > that got lost in the changes made to fix LE's problems
> > with the first implementation of that option),
>
> what got lost?  what were LE's problems?  where roughly in the Archive?
Around November.
I was having problems parsing the value of $libdir out of the variables
in the environment (since it was designed to be evaluated at the end of
the configure process, it's stored as an expression rather than an actual
value, making it a little tricky to handle).

> bottom line: Lynx should not hard-code any particular path to  lynx.cfg :
> it should accept whatever path the user specifies in  userdefs.h
> or  --libdir  (if that affects compilation a/a installation).
the latter is what's used.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden