lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx + HP-UX 10.20 -- ignore previous complaint

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx + HP-UX 10.20 -- ignore previous complaint
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 08:11:44 EST

In message <address@hidden>,
"T.E.Dickey" writes:
 ] > The resulting binary does color and mono pretty well.  It doesn't
 ] > set the background color right on spaces, but I can live with that (I
 ] I think that is probably the setting for 'bce'.  If you are testing with
 ] rxvt, for example, you may not have 'bce' set (or maybe HP's curses does
 ] not support it in the manner that we're assuming -- I only know that
 ] Solaris & IRIX are close enough that most applications - including Lynx -
 ] don't show a difference here).  If you have bce set properly and it still
 ] doesn't work, I'd like to get more details for the ncurses aspect.

I'm using the Linux console.  I did try with rxvt a while back, I could
do that again I suppose, but the HP machines have no "xterm-color"
terminfo entry, and that's what my rxvt thinks it is.  I could copy
the terminfo entry but I don't really feel like it right now.

I generated the terminfo entry for linux by grabbing the terminfo entry
from my Linux machine with infocmp, FTPing the .ti file to the HP
machine, and running tic there (I had already been burned with trying to
transfer the binary terminfo from my Linux machine to 9.x before, so I
did not try that with 10.x).  When I run "infocmp" on the HP machine it
does list "bce" as one of the attributes set at the top.

 ] I prefer the default-color scheme with ncurses best, but Lynx works properly
 ] with the standard one as well.  I'm usually setting my xterm's to white
 ] background, but minicom uses black.

I have my own lynx.cfg settings for the colors I like.  I like black
backgrounds, I can read them more easily.  I also like green letters.
I can get them without needing to fetch and compile SLANG now.

Re: terminfo entries -- What threw me off is that libHcurses worked fine
    with the old terminfo entry, because it apparently uses the old
    format, so I thought the problem was libcur_colr.

Is there a way to make Solaris do color out of the box with Lynx, or
is it's libcurses deficient in that area?

--
Jonathan Sergent / address@hidden