lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 help: Help!
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 14:29:49 -0500 (EST)

980304 Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> 980303 Philip Webb wrote (before 03:56 EST):
> >  lynx_cfg.h  is not defining the location of  lynx.cfg  correctly

look at my latest message at 03:56 EST, which explains just what happens:
there really is a PROBLEM around  configure .

> Configure is working exactly as it should.
> Configure puts the DEFAULT  lynx.cfg  in the top distribution directory,
> in  --libdir .  I think if you did a "make install" and look at the file
> that's in there, you'll see what I mean (all 80kBs of it).
> This actually is a good thing in a way because it can be used
> to prevent Lynx dying on someone who has not done anything about lynx.cfg.

you don't understand what i do: i don't do  install  at all.

> You can fool configure by editing/copying over the distribution lynx.cfg

THAT's what i do: i rename the distribution file  lynxcfg.mr  as backup,
then make a copy & edit it to become my  lynx.cfg ,
all in the directory  ~/lynx28/lynx2-8  where it was put by  unzip .
tho' i'm unfamiliar with  configure etc ,
i do know how to get inside software (given time)
& like to be more in control of what is happening
than simply pressing the button & letting someone else arrange things
(remember, there is now no supported alternative to  configure ).

> Since you have your own customized  lynx.cfg ,
> you want to point Lynx to it, NOT to  ~/lynx28/lynx2-8/lynx.cfg .

that IS my own customised  lynx.cfg !

> If you must have your own file in  ~/lynx28/lynx2-8 ,
> then that should be on the command line or environment variable,
> and  --libdir  should be to your build directory or /dev/null.

why??  this wasn't a requirement with 2-7 & it's not intuitive.

> PS I'll do some work on INSTALLATION to make the above point more clear.

 INSTALLATION  clearly needs quite a bit more work (no criticism intended).
again -- it will no doubt have to be said by many people many times -- ,
we MUST be very careful that 2-8 is FULLY TESTED before `official' release,
including making sure the documentation is clear & complete:
a LOT of water has gone under MANY bridges since 2-7-1.
that's largely why i'm raising these questions.