lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Relocation problem

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Relocation problem
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:43:06 +0000 (GMT)

> The problem is that lynx wants to send the post information to the final
> html document, but displays an error message since it is not a cgi
> script that is prepared to receive that information.
>
> Is this the way it should be?  I do not have this problem with the big
> two browsers (IE, N.)  They simply send it and do not give an error message.

Yes this is correct.  Are you sure that the latest versions of the big two
are still broken - being broken in early versions was the reason that this
error became common place.

The necessary status code is decribed in the HTTP 1.1 spec (it is an
alternative to the normal redirect code which forces a GET method).

Incidentally Lynx doesn't produce an error message; it asks you whether you
really meant to post your sensitive data to a third party, or whether you
actually want the broken behaviour of isssuing a GET.

All good web servers will take a "Status: 30x Redirect to GET" line at the
start of the response.