lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV non-interactive use of lynx?

From: Personal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV non-interactive use of lynx?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:41:57 -0700 (MST)

Doug Kaufman <address@hidden> writes:

>There is no version for DOS. I looked at the source code, but the main
>advantage of wget is to download either in the background or while you
>are logged out. Since you can't multitask in DOS, there really isn't an
>advantage that I see over "lynx -source".

I found a version on the net that runs under w95 and NT. It is very
usefull. If you are running windows, you can start up wget in a dos
window, and then do other stuff as it runs. In command mode only (dos
mode) it is still extremely usefull. It can take a base page and get
all the pages to some specified depth that are linked from it (on the
same or other specified server) and dump them to your disk with the
file names intact. It can even fix the links to make them relative
and therefore workable. You can then browse the pages locally, or
re-write, copy, move, etc. them as needed. Very nice for getting a
source tree or some such (like Fote's breakout directories here on
SLCC [but please download the smaller zip and break it out on your
own system since it is availible that way for lynx!])

It is also usefull for downloading a set of large files that will take
considerable time while you go do other things (like eat, sleep, have
a life, etc) where you would have to keep monitoring downloads and
entering filenames with lynx.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,
Email: address@hidden (Scott McGee)         | run in circles,
Web:   http://www.slcc.edu/infotech/webmaster.html | scream and shout.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the College. Trust me!