lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV using lynx to fetch source and mime headers for a document

From: John
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV using lynx to fetch source and mime headers for a document
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 00:26:45 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:
(incorrectly quoting) ...

> Re: why not use  \...

> 1. Sounded to me as if this were something the original
> poster wanted to do in a script - not interactively.

Yes I understood that, and I was wondering why he was trying
to write a script to do something that lynx already can do?

> 2. It's my understanding that Using \ does not give one
> the whole source - lines of text wider than the screen
> are, I believe, truncated.

That's not true ... They may be 'truncated' to your viewer
(screen) but all of the information is there.  Just because
you (I didn't mean 'you' this is not personal) or someone
has a screen that can't display the entire line, it does not
logically follow that therefore the information is not
there.  So I repeat my prior comment, only meant to be
helpful, that if you wish to 'view' (whatever that means)
the source of a document, just type \ (backslash) and if you
have to 'justify' the resulting code to make it readable to
your viewer, so be it, but please don't assume that just
because your terminal can't see the entire line that it is
not there.  It is.  And you can see it, save it, mail it to
yourself, print it out, etc.

That's only my 295 cents worth, yours may be worth more;-)

John