lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV letting it all hang out

From: pg
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV letting it all hang out
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:55:11 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, David Combs said:

> From: David Combs <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
>
> > IN AN EQUALLY IMPORTANT MOVE, Netscape also will make its programming code
> > -- which is normally jealously guarded by a software company --
> > available on the Internet, so that independent programmers can modify

With some more detail, from:

   Linkname: Press Release

   Netscape plans to make Netscape Communicator 5.0 source code available
   for modification and redistribution beginning later this quarter with
   the first developer release of the product. The company will handle
   free source distribution with a license which allows source code
   modification and redistribution and provides for free availability of
   source code versions, building on the heritage of the GNU Public
   License (GPL), familiar to developers on the Net.

I'm struck by the Clintonesque wording, "building on the heritage of
the [GPL]," which is slightly different from, say, "available under
the terms of the GPL."

But still interesting.

-- gil