lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Bugfix for DOS (version ac-0.108)

From: Hasan Karahasan, DJ2xt
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bugfix for DOS (version ac-0.108)
Date: 23 Jan 1998 16:19:00 +0100

Hello Leonid
This problem exists since pdc2.3 has been used to create lynx386. It does not
exist with pdc2.2. In pdc2.3 ^c and ^break are not handled correctly. I have
reported this to some responsibles here in the list several times. But they
eighter are not interested in solving this or they don't believe me. They have
answered that this was a problem only occuring on a german keyboard layout.
Therefore it could not be reproduced on an us keyboard. What experts !!! Well,
this is absolutely nonsense, because going to the dos-prompt and entering the
command "keyb gr" makes a german keyboard of every us keyboard. So everyone
can check if something is related to a specific national keyboard or not.
Maybe the "keyb" command hasn't been known outside Germany. Instead of trying
what I have reported and trying to correct the bug in the pdcurses's code some
people prefere hacking around within lynx's core or playing with break=on or
break=off.

The fact is that - if lynx is busy with waiting saying "http request sent;
waiting forresponse" - you _cannot exit_ from it. You can _only exit_ if lynx
is idle. Lynx is idle, when it is not busy with loading or rendering. It is
very important to exit from lynx also when it is busy. Say you have done a
http request, and you are waiting for response. Then it can happen that you
wait and wait because the net is to slow for the moment. There is no way to
interrupt lynx than making a warm reboot of your system. Okay, this maybe
uninteresting for users in countries with no charge for local telefon calls.
But in countrys with expensive local distance calls like germany it happens
often that someone wants to continue with another link if the currently chosen
comes to slow.

If you want to get rid of this problem use pdc2.2 instead or contact the pdc
programmers to convince them working on this bug. But stop working around the
bug itself within lynx's sources.

I have been compiling my own lynx executable still using pdc2.2 since then. My
lynx386 can be found at
http://pinneberg.netsurf.de/~h.karahasan/testlynx.html.