lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Bug in <pre> block rendering in 2.7.2?

From: David R. Conrad
Subject: LYNX-DEV Bug in <pre> block rendering in 2.7.2?
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 20:37:48 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

   I'm a newcomer to the lynx-dev list.  I help to manage a unix
system and we have just upgraded to lynx 2.7.2.  I have some users
who in the past have tried to insert extra lines in <ul> lists by
blocks containing newlines is the right way to do it.

   Which brings me to the problem.  It seems that Lynx eats the
first newline character in a <pre> block if it follows the first
<li> in a <ul>, otherwise it recognizes all the newlines??  And in
trying to come up with a minimal example, I discovered that this
rule isn't always true, but depends on the preceding html.

   If all that sounds confusing, I suggest taking a look at the way
lynx 2.7.2 renders the following html snippets:

Listing 1:

<ul>
<li> Apple
<li> Banana<pre>
</pre>
<li> Cherry
</ul>

Listing 2:

<ul>
<li> Apple<pre>
</pre>
<li> Banana
<li> Cherry
</ul>

Listing 3:

<ul>
<li> Apple<pre>
</pre>
<li> Banana
<li> Cherry
</ul>

Listing 4:

<ul>
<li> Apple<pre>
</pre>
<li> Banana
<li> Cherry
</ul>

At least on this platform (SS10 running SunOS 4.1.3_U1), the results
are seemingly inconsistent.  (And I've seen the same behavior from
lynx 2.7 running under Linux.)

Regards,
--
David R. Conrad, address@hidden      PGP key on home page