lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV extension languages for Lynx

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV extension languages for Lynx
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 11:47:19 +0900 (JST)

> With monitor-less machines of HIGH power now
> appearing for $800 or so (HP just announced one),

$800 x 60 = $48000.  60 machines is the minimum number
of machines we could get by with to handle the student
population here.  Unfortunately Japanese businessmen
are real crooks, and you'll never find a company to sell
those "cheapies" to a college here.  The powers-that-be
have requested over $600,000 to replace the PCs in the
computer lab at our college.  If they get half of it,
we'll be able to purchase 40 machines!

> And, since lynx is ascii oriented (well, not
> mouse-oriented), if there are LOTS of small
> machines at, say, some university in Russia
> or somewhere, can't they go purchase ONE modern
> machine, put a java-lynx on it, and have the
> dos-machines access the net THROUGH IT -- just

That's what we do do, but we're limited to telnet and
vt100 emulation.  Kids these days don't get overly excited
with ESC[32m or ^G.  Also, the best I could do was a micro-
sparc, which can barely handle a full class with each
student running a bunch of screens.

But I'll stop moaning since you've all heard it before,
and ask for help (OFF THE LIST PLEASE) where I need it
most.  Believe it or not, I've got Linux running on one of
these Fujitsu FMR70's we're stuck with.  Problem is, with
the kernel I've compiled (can't use the precompiled binary
since our LAN card isn't supported), the console turns into
a thin 1/2 inch band about a third of the way down the
display.  Everything else seems to work fine (can even
telnet INTO the machine), but it's imperative that I have
a working console since the whole idea is to use these
machines as X-window servers, so we can finally get Lynx
to really leave "the others" in the dust.  Yea! Yea!

Anyone have an idea where I might hack the source?  Or what
might be wrong?  Again, off the list.  Deepest apologies for
this plug for help in the wrong place.  m(_ _)m

__Henry