lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx for Newnix

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx for Newnix
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 09:06:59 +0000 (GMT)

> Hi. I'm developing a UNIX-type shell for Windows95, and I was wondering

What's wrong with bash?

> if I could include LYNX in the next distrubution of Newnix. I'd really
> appreciate it.

If you are merely bundling it in, then the licence already permits this;
read it!  All you need to do is clearly segregate it and supply the licence
and source code for the GPLed parts.

If you need to modify the code, you should read the licence very carefully;
roughly speaking, any .exe or .dll that contains Lynx code must be distributed
under the Gnu licence, and include source code and be royalty free and
redistributable for all users (commercial included) - money can be charged
for distribution and support, and can be on a market value basis, except for
the source, which must be at most cost plus.

Other DLLs and exes must have a documented non-proprietory interface to Lynx
but are otherwise not constrained.

NB this is based on my current understanding of the GPL.  It is not official
Lynx policy; I have no authority to make such policy and it is not  clear
who does.