lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV re: zlib

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV re: zlib
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:15:27 +0900 (JST)

> well - I built zlib 1.0.4 on a Solaris 2.6 box with gcc 2.7.2.3 and ac #100.
> I don't see any problems building it.  So I need more information.
>
> (If it were 'cc', then that would be a different story: you'd have to have
> /usr/local/lib in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH -- but that's been standard with gcc since

All I can do is reiterate what I see when I run configure:

checking if you want to use zlib for decompression of some gzip files... yes
checking for gzopen... no
checking for gzopen in -lz... no
checking for -lz in /usr/local/lib... no
[...]
checking for -lz in /usr/lib/z... no
configure: error: Cannot link z library

In config.log it says (the complete log is in the archives):

configure:7044: checking for gzopen
configure:7072: gcc -o conftest -O2 -DNSL_FORK conftest.c -lslang -lm  -lnsl
-lsocket  -ltermlib 1>&5
gzopen                              /var/tmp/cc3GGXr_1.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
[...]
configure:7092: checking for gzopen in -lz
configure:7102: gcc -o conftest -O2 -DNSL_FORK conftest.c -lz -lslang -lm
-lnsl -lsocket  -ltermlib 1>&5
ld: fatal: library -lz: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest

I have no idea why it can't find the library unless it is specifically
looking for a static library.  Nowhere on my system is there libz.a.
On my system I have only the shared library (ls -l):

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           28 Dec 12 15:11 /usr/lib/libz.so.1.0.4 -> /usr/loc
al/lib/libz.so.1.0.4
-rw-r--r--   1 root        56624 Dec 12 13:09 /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.0.4

Specifically, what additional information can I send to help you?

__Henry