lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV XML moved to Proposed Recommendation

From: Chris Maden
Subject: LYNX-DEV XML moved to Proposed Recommendation
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:16:57 -0500

Howdy, Lynx-Dev.  I realized that I've come unsubscribed, and I've
missed a few months of discussion.  However, the mail from the XSL
Working Group and the XML SIG is more than enough, so I don't think
I'm going to resubscribe soon.

I wanted to let y'all know that the W3C has moved XML 1.0 to a
Proposed Recommendation; if there are no valid objections, it'll move
to a W3C Recommendation near the end of January.

I would love to see XML support in Lynx.  I'm not the man to do the
code; I'm more than competent in DSSSL and Perl, but still haven't
spent enough time in C.  Anyone thinking about adding an XML parser
should feel more than free to contact me directly.  BarryScript will
be a good start, as the stylesheet language for XML is using
"ECMAScript" (the standardized version of JavaScript) for its
computational part.

Given the DOM work in the W3C, this could be a good chance to rebuild
Lynx's internals, resulting in improved accessibility to outside
applications (like screen readers) as well as its power.

-Chris