lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx "release" page and pre-release of v2.8

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx "release" page and pre-release of v2.8
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:58:14 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> > it start being updated now, to ensure a smooth transition.  Also, in
> > the past it was customary up offer a "pre-release" on the "release" page,
> > for maximum testing and final tweaks before the actual release.  The
> > "a few days before Christmas" target is not far away, so perhaps some
>
> Sorry, Klaus, but I really feel I, too, need to prod you on this one.
> ==> Please announce the "pre-release", and address bug reports _only_.
> Anything else stick in the wish-list.  You can polish up the code when
> you get back and are resettled again next year, or whenever.

I have started <URL:http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/release2-8.html>.
It's obviously not complete, but at least it is a place to point to.
(Scott should decide whether that's OK as a semi-permanent location.)

The summary of changes there is off the top of my head, just some changes
that came to mind that might be important to a lot of users.  I have
probably overlooked a lot of things; if there is something you feel should
be listed there, please speak up.

There currently is no "pre-release" code set different from the usual
"development code".  The changes that come to mind to make the devel-code
-> Lynx 2.8 switch are basically replacing the string 2.7.1 (or 2-7-1) in
a lot of places, an renaming "CHANGES.new" to "CHANGES".  (Is there
something I have overlooked, Henry?  Some SIMPLEDIR changes remaining
to be done?  You haven't updated SIMPLEDIR.gz in a while.)

   Klaus