lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Next release, status of development code

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Next release, status of development code
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 17:09:17 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> > As I understand it, 2.7.1 is the latest release of lynx.
> > When is the next release expected?
> I dunno - I'm waiting for people to get together.  It's been moderately
> stable from my point of view (though ac #95 isn't workable).

 From my perspective, I would like to see the development code become
something else than the "develoment code" - maybe Lynx 2.8 - soon, more
concretely: before Christmas.  Reasons:

 - It's overdue anyway
 - I'll be away from (a few days before) Christmas on, and then likely
   won't have any (easy) net access for some time.

I have less time right now for lynx than I used to have (had to move this
week), but here is a list of things I still would like to do:

- Revisit formfield / ^V code.
- Some cleanups without functional changes.
- Compare chartrans stuff with Fote's code with view of "Lynx forgets
  charset" problems. [*]
- Write some usable instructions for setting Display Character Set and/or
  ASSUME_* stuff on installation, instead of the cryptic reference to
  adding "META line" in current INSTALLATION (not Henry's fault, of course!)
- Compare other chartrans changes from Fote's code.
- Misc. other changes from Fote's code.
- (least important) update CHARTRANS_AUTOSWITCH code for linux, for new
  character sets.

This is just AFAIAC, others may have other things to add (for example,
for-DOS/Win code?)

More concrete remarks for two topics
 - [*] Current devel code "forgets too easily", current Fote's code
   "remembers too much".  This is not meant to be a fair summary, just
   my current impression, I haven't yet tested different cases much.
 - It seems just introducing a call to wborder() instead of box() in #95
   was not such a good idea...  I think Tom will fix that.

If you have sent bug reports for other things (in the devel code) that you
think may have got lost, or simple patches that you think should have been
included, or have detailed reports for one of the above topics that may
throw some new light on them, please consider (re)sending them now.

[ Hynek: Does UTF-8 display work better now?  (also check highlighting
  of search strings in anchors)
  Leonid: If you have more reports of lynx using the wrong charset, please
  send 'em, with detailed description of relevant settings and version ]

P.S. some other things that I think are important, but probably should
wait (unless someone volunteers to do this now in a short time):
- "BarryScript", - localized messages, - form-based Options Screen

All IMO etc.

   Klaus
;
;