lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV bzip2 support in Lynx?

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV bzip2 support in Lynx?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:03:13 +0900 (JST)

> After checking out bzip2, a better compression tool than gzip that is
> GPL'd (http://www.muraroa.demon.co.uk/), I was wondering how to make
> lynx support these files. bzip2's interface is purposely similar to
> gzip's so it would seemingly be very easy to do.

I would have thought so, too, but I hit a snag.   Wonder if you had the
same problem.  Anyway, in `mime.types' I put "application/x-bzip2   bz2",
and in `mailcap' I put "application/x-bzip2; /usr/local/bin/bzip2 -d %s".
However, when I hit return on a file:// URL pointing to "test.big.bz2",
where the .big extension is supposed to be picked up by a defined viewer,
I get a long wait with a blank status line, and finally a return to the
page I have the URL on, without the file ever being loaded into the viewer.
After I exit Lynx, there's a file named "L7853-0TMP" left in the /tmp
directory.  The analogous situation with gzip on "test.big.gz" loads the
unzipped file into the viewer, and the temp file "L7884-0TMP.big", which
is created, is erased when I exit Lynx.

For some reason the file name is not being managed properly.  Any ideas
anyone?

> - bzip2 files are up to 20% smaller that gzip,
> - decompression is up to 50% faster,

Comparing to gzip on 1-2Mb files, uncompressed, bzip2 files were 17-19%
smaller, *BUT* decompression took about 2.5 times as long.  (SunOS4.1.3)
Nice piece of sofware, but I'm not sure I'd call it "better".

__Henry
;
;