lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Sending large patches

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Sending large patches
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 05:06:43 -0500 (EST)

> Hello everyone.  A few days ago, I tried to send a patch that removes the
> EXP_CHARTRANS flag from the Lynx sources but apparently it was too large.
> Can anyone tell me if there is a practical limit to the size of a message?
50k is a practical limit for many mail servers (though there are local
networks that can transfer larger chunks).

If I have something large, I gzip/uuencode/shar the file.  shar can split
the file, so it's convenient for mailing, e.g.,

        shar -M -oPart -L50 $*

(sending stuff in mime format probably isn't a good idea either ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden