lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV How to change screen size??

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How to change screen size??
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 13:29:08 -0500 (EST)

> Resizing of the lynx display window (xterm or Sun's shelltool)
afaik, shelltool isn't xterm (what is the the canonical $TERM for that, anyway?)

> didn't seem to work properly, at least when using ordinary curses,
> and particularly if you tried to make the display larger.
dynamic resizing won't work with ordinary curses (ncurses does, I've read
that HP-UX curses can, but haven't seen it do it), but some will "work"
by exiting curses with "endwin()", resuming with "refresh()".  (SVr4 curses
does, anyway, though it leaks memory).

> I have previously posted (June 20) some mods to lynx-dev to fix this:
> they're nor particularly elegant, but they appear to work for me.
> However, these mods seem to have been largely ignored by the main
> lynx developers.  Perhaps if this is once again a live issue someone
> could examine them?
>
> Look in:
>   http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0697/msg00197.html
I had two problems with this (still do - saw no response before):

        + setting a "large" number of LINES/COLS isn't generally portable
          (since curses implementations have their own notion of maximum
          screen size - such as 48 lines).

        + it won't work with curses implementations that assume things about
          the use of the wrapped-margin (some text will be written that assumes
          it will wrap around -- it won't in your scheme).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden