lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV default editor for lynx_w32: Howto?

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV default editor for lynx_w32: Howto?
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 00:57:15 -0700

>>   Only if the file name is too long for dos or
>>    whatever do you then issue the quotes.
>
> Probably more of the "whatever" than anything else since it is more
> of a problem than just being "too long".  Windows95 allows/recognizes
> spaces within a file name and distinguishes between upper and lower
> case letters, for example.  My stupid question is: where is this info
> held, somewhere in the FAT?  I haven't had much time to "play around",
> but putting linux on a DOS partition of a Windows95 machine was a real
> eye-opener.  None of the stuff Windows95 led me to believe was on the
> machine was really there, at least not in the form I expected.

        The meta information (long filenames) are special directory
        entries with the "v" (volume label) bit set.  These are
        interlaced with the corresponding short names.  Thus each
        32 bytes of long name becomes one "bogus volume label" adjacent
        to the "real" (short, 8.3, DOS legal) directory entry.

        OS/2 had a more elegant method -- wherein a each directory
        entry used a couple of the "reserved" bytes (directory entries
        only use ~20 of the 32 bytes -- with the extra bytes listed
        in the programming specs as "reserved").  These were used as
        offsets into an "EA DATA" file.  I don't remember whether
        EA DATA was volume or directory specific -- ISTR that it was
        one EA DATA per volume -- and I think it should have been
        one per directory!

        Linux offers a UMSDOS facility which stores the meta data
        in a hidden file named something like LINUX---.--- (I don't
        remember the exact name -- but it's pretty obvious when you
        see it).

--
Jim Dennis  (800) 938-4078              address@hidden
Proprietor, Starshine Technical Services:  http://www.starshine.org