lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Problems with news and ftp with dos version of lynx

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Problems with news and ftp with dos version of lynx
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 15:21:14 +0100 (BST)

> > Also, is anyone else using mskermit 3.15 as an telnet client with the dos
> > version.
>
> I have used it as a telnet client from a shell. I have been using CUTCP
> as an automated telnet (i.e. when activating a "telnet://" URL). I don't
> think that there should be a problem using mskermit as long as 1) you

If I read this correctly and you are using two different TCP stacks on
a common packet driver, I think adding FTP and News may actually break it,
as they cache connections (news does, ftp should and possibly does). If
you get any keep alive packets handed to the wrong stack, they could
kill the connection.  This is probably only a statistical risk, but
you might want to note the warnings, in tcpmux, about any sharing of
a packet driver between two stacks, even though that is the purpose of
tcpmux.

My guess is that, most of the time, things will work, but don't complain
if connections spontaneously reset - TCP stacks aren't designed to be
used like this!  (It is also possible that the connection caching will
simply re-instate the broken connection.)
;
;