lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: instructions for beginners

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: instructions for beginners
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 20:46:17 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what DON HERRINGTON said:

> Dear Al,

[snip]

> When I download by pressing "d" I get three options.  One is to send to my
> e-mail address.  When I enter it, or others of my friends which I know are
> good, it replies, this is not a valid command.  Why would that be
> happening?

If it's in the download menu, someone has installed as a downloader a
command that doesn't work.

This sounds like a convenience half-installed by whoever installed your
Lynx.

If you want to study up about lynx.cfg check out the downloader definitions
and particularly the one about sending mail.  It's broken.  On the other
hand, this should be somebody else's problem unless the offending
downloader definition is in a personal lynx.cfg settings file in your
personal account.

> Also when I press "q" to quit in the middle of a procedure, or at anytime
> for that mater, I do not get a response asking for verification.  I simply
> quit: become disconnected.  I understand that if I press "Q" I would quit
> without asking for verification, but with "q," according to instructions.

It is possible to change key bindings.  At your site, 'q' may have
been bound to the 'Q' function by compilation or configuration file.

First round of relief is find out who installed it or who would install
the replacement if they ever upgraded, and as them.

> Additionally, this morning the connection was terribly slow.  My IE browser
> was much faster than Lynx.  That also seems very strange to me.  True, I am
> a technoidiot, but the instructions are so simple and though I can browse
> the pages quickly, when the connection is normal, I cannot save nor can I
> quit a procedure and not go off line, which I would like to do.  This last
> problem is one I have in addition to not getting the verification request
> when I quit.

This could be a resources problem on the multi-user computer
where your shell access is.  If the IE connection is going
through the same net connections as your lynx is going through,
then communications capacity differences are probably not the
culprit.

> Please help me if you can.  I am very pleased with the normal browsing
> speed, really enjoy this program, and appreciate your and the other
> volunteer's  help.

Well, no silver bullets, here, but good luck following up on
what clues I could give you.

-- Al

PS: do send Lynx questions to address@hidden
;