lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Error in compiling ac82

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Error in compiling ac82
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 05:53:41 -0400 (EDT)

> problematic.  And yes, on 'configure', it doesn't find ANY curses stuff at
> all... no curses, ncurses, etc.  Do I have to make my own?  (There goes
I assume it finds _something_, since afaik Lynx doesn't have any other
way to update the screen than by using curses/ncurses/slang.

> more space..)  will compiling ncurses or slang in my home dir be
> sufficient to tell Lynx what it can do?  (The chances of getting anything
> system-installed here are about nil.)  I'll need details of how to do
> things properly if so.
>
> Gah...In this stuff I am NOT competent!  Asking me to read man pages is
> useless on termcap/terminfo stuff.  Been there, done that, hardcopy even.
>
> (Heck, there's no infocmp, anyway :) )
infocmp comes with sysv-style curses (ncurses has a version, since it's
SVr4 based).  But FreeBSD has something called mytinfo, which is a very
rough approximation to sysv-style terminfo (the lower levels of sysv-curses).
(There's a very old - 1994 - port of ncurses that is widely distributed
with FreeBSD: avoid that, and get the 4.1 off my ftp area).

The current version of ncurses is 4.1
There's an faq at
        http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html

> But also, I'm on the lookout for any and all VT10x termcap entries that
> people might have... in searching for this, I have occasionally found
> tweaked versions that help me immensely to overcome the peculiarities of
> system-installed versions.
I would assume that if you are using FreeBSD, you're using its system console.
That's based on SCO's terminal (I'm told), and has a few bugs in it (though
I'm told also that they're all fixed now ;-).  I built on 2.1.5 (which has
the bugs, so I worked around it).

But the FreeBSD console isn't VTxxx-compatible (so I'd not waste much time
there).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden