lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx interpretation of &#146

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx interpretation of &#146
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 08:38:27 +0100 (BST)

> this code is being used by many word procs to represent the
> 'correct' apostrophe mark. for those of us in text mode, the

Unfortunately it is an illegal Unicode value (and illegal ISO 8859/1).
Given that anyone preparing web pages with a word processor is likely
to be machine generating the HTML, it would be better to get the
HTML generating tool fixed to generate the correct Unicode value for
this character.

Version 2.7 (LYCharUtils.c) doesn't seem to recognize Unicode directed
quote marks, however, there has been a lot of work in this area recently,
so that may no longer be true of the current version.

(The problem with repairing broken HTML is that it tends to legitimize that
broken HTML, so unless it makes the pages really difficult to read, I would
prefer that the broken HTML was revealed.)

(If the HTTP headers indicate the Windows characters set (CP1252, I think),
or they don't indicate a character set, but there is a DOCTYPE line
specifying a sufficiently high level of HTML (4.0 Draft may be needed -
note that Front Page 97 declares everything as HTML 2.0, then generates
HTML which is decidedly not HTML 2.0) and there is a Meta directive
specifying this character set, the raw codes for Windows forwards and
backwards quotes may be used, but the Unicode values must be used in
entities (actually, the Front Page DOCTYPE doesn't even permit Unicode).
I don't think that browsers are required to understand anything except
ISO 8859/1, although I think Microsoft did try to get CP 1252 into
the standards.)
;
;