lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx and perl

From: Barry Rountree
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx and perl
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 13:13:11 -0400 (EDT)

> Is it feasible to embed a perl interpreter into Lynx and then let it
> interprete perl5-scripts in html-pages ,enclosed in suitable script -tags?
> Maybe a pipe to the standard perl interpreter would serve for the same
> purpose.
> The safety risk is sure huge, anyways.

Yeah, very very possible.  Use the script tag, set LANGUAGE="PERL",
and off you go.... except for having to plug in a perl interpreter
somewhere.  Check in HTML.c for the switch statement that handles the
script tag and start working from there.

Over the last six months, I've been scratching and clawing my way to a
JavaScript interpreter.  I'll send a separate post on the status of that
project.  But to answer your question:  yes, it's entirely feasible, and
shouldn't take that long for a language with a well-defined grammar and a
programmer with some background in compilers.  If you can find a
ready-made interpreter, your life will be even easier.

Don't worry about the security holes at first.  They're certainly there,
and will have to be dealt with, but you can safely put those off until
last.  For a good idea of what scripts should and should not be able to
do, see _JavaScript:  The Definitive Guide; 2nd ed._, by David Flannagan,
O'Reilly & Assoc.  Don't bother with the Beta edition -- it's way out of
date.

I'm interested to see what you decide to do with this.  Good Luck!

Barry Rountree
Florida State University

> Klaus Schilling

;