lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV new to LYNX

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new to LYNX
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 00:46:38 +0100 (BST)

> Lynx will get you to all text material on the WWW

Unfortunately, there is an irritating trend towards doing text as a GIF
image of the text.  One of my employer's competitors has a home page
(currently the only page) which is an abstract pattern of empty rectangles
in a graphic browser with graphics off, and a sequence of "[LINK]"s and
"[IMAGE]"s in Lynx.  (What I don't understand is why they didn't use one
big image mapped bitmap - it would at least have covered all GUI browsers
back to early Mosaics, rather than needing tables support.)

If you follow the link of the week on http://www.setileague.org/ (itself
reasonably Lynx friendly) you will find a page which, at the beginning
of the week, was mainly text as bitmaps.  (I've complained on this one.)

The problem is that people are trying to use HTML as a page description
language (instead of PDF or Postscript).  There is nothing that Lynx can
sensibly do about it.
;
;