lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV How to work around special characters?

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How to work around special characters?
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 19:06:33 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Philip Webb) wrote:
>970917 Fote wrote:
>> address@hidden (Philip Webb) wrote:
>> >
>> >try  alt.music.+live+ : ie  &#n; , where  n  is the ASCII code.
>>      No.
>--- unexplained source amendment ---
>> This is an FAQ regulars like Philip Webb should be able to answer correctly
>> by now.
>
>predictable response from sender, BUT i searched thro' the on-line Lynx h)elp
>& could find no reference to the  %  escaping device;
>there's one item buried at the bottom of Al's Picks, but it's incomplete.

        Al's Picks is not a comprehensive FAQ.  It's a VFAQ (very
frequently asked questions :).

>the other reply today is very good (Chris Maden? i'm in edit mode)

        Chris gave an excellent review of escaping rules for URLs versus
HTML content, and their combinations.  The information is accessible via
the Lynx online 'h'elp, but a nice concise review like Chris' is always
worthwhile (and *correct* information, but not the information that was
needed to make the lynxexec URL actually work, see below :).

>& should be put into the regular FAQ (which seems to lack a lot of links BTW).

        Absolutely!  Perhaps Al will add it.

        The most recent previous answer to the actual question about
the special character filter for lynxexec/lynxprog URLs is archived as:

        http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0797/msg00429.html

That answer, like my more recent one, included my own question about
the filter, which nobody answered.  I wonder if it will get answered
this time ...

>we all know Fote knows everything,
>but those of us still learning have to be able to find the answer somewhere ...

        We all know that Philip is prone to making self-righteous remarks
about Fote's self-righteousness, and posts "answers" when he still needs
to find the answer somewhere ...   I think he's a minority of the Lynx
User Community, but if he can convince me otherwise, I'll be happy to
drop out altogether, and just hope that others correct misinformation
passed to Lynx users who come here for help.

                                Fote