lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV finding lynx.cfg

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV finding lynx.cfg
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:15:22 -0400 (EDT)

>     * Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx config file
>     * From: Bryan Farrish <address@hidden>
>>
>> Use locate or find (the name is lynx.cfg) or use strings and grep on the
>> executable (grepping with / will normally find the config file for most
>> programs).
>
>Does this mean that the config file is somehow _within_ the executable?
>If this is true (I hope it is since I don't have a lynx.cfg) then will it
>be able to be altered by the individual user?

What is in the executable is a string holding a path to the system-wide
lynx.cfg file.  Not the whole lynx.cfg file.  In addition, the program
checks the user's account for another lynx.cfg file and updates the
configuration instructions therefrom.  Read the comments in userdefs.h
and lynx.cfg .  You can find representative copies of these files in
a distribution breakout at the distribution site.  Sniff around a little.
It's there.

To reach the distribution site
Start at http://lynx.browser.org/
and follow the link for 2.7.1.