lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV passing a url to a program

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV passing a url to a program
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 07:29:55 -0400

Jim Dennis <address@hidden> writes:

>       So, try 'man mailcap'

This brings up a good point - perhaps lynx should include, in the documentation
that is provided, man pages for things like mailcap, mimetypes, etc.  Right
now, the user would typically find that the above command fails on most
platforms other than linux.

> > I would like to press a key in lynx to invoke  the rpm command and I
> > would like that lynx pass the current URL as a parameter to the command.

Currently I don't think that lynx is designed to pass the real URL to an
external command.  However, there are several options.  Using Jim's
suggestion of setting up a mailcap type for rpm, what you would do is
update your (or the site's) mimetypes file (mine is called $HOME/.mime.types)
to do something like:

application/rpm         rpm

Then, in the user or site's mailcap file (mine is called $HOME/.mailcap)
you would want something that looks like

application/rpm; rpm flag %s

Then, if you select the package (pressing return or doing a G to the
link number, etc.) lynx would download the package into /tmp and run
rpm on the copy of the file in /tmp .

Another similar option would be to set up a Download or Print option
in lynx.cfg or userdefs.h to run rpm on the /tmp copy of the file.

These are the most likely ways right now to do things.

;