lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV new to LYNX

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new to LYNX
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 07:18:24 -0400

Jim Dennis <address@hidden> writes:

> > Will I be able to  browse the FULL INTERNET using LYNX?
> > I am using LYNX at my job, and the computer does not have window!
>
>       The web is not the FULL INTERNET!
>
>       Web browsers (such as Lynx, Mosaic, Netscape and MSIE) only
>       access the web, ftp, and gopher.  These are only a few of
>       the services and protocols supported by the Internet.

Indeed.  However, in most cases, one can configure lynx (as well as others)
to provide access to other services on the internet via the use of
mailcap entries, if the user can find internet tools that run on their
platforms.  For instance, if one has an IRC, email, etc. client, one can set up
the appropriate lynxexec to invoke it.  Lynx also supports nntp, so that
a user can read and post news articles.  Etc.

>       constraints of it various platforms (text only -- no "inline"
>       graphics, no sound, no support for "Java" or "JavaScript"
>       (which aren't part of these specifications anyway).

Well, again, it all depends on how folk have things configured.  For
instance, _my_ lynx plays sounds - when I am on my SPARC with a sound
card.  As for inline graphics - that is right - not too many tools support
terminal emulation with inline graphics.  If there were some, someone
probably would figure out a way to do the inline graphics.  However, one
can certainly display the graphics, provided they have that capability.

However, most of the other vendor specific features, such as Java/Javascript/
etc are indeed not currently supported in the versions of Lynx that are
in common use.  I've seen one project discussed for a Javascript like
language, as well as a couple folk who were going to work on trying to
invoke the Java standalone applet viewer from lynx.  But we've not seen
anything appear here indicating success or failure to date.

>       Therein lies the rub.  The client (Lynx) is able -- but many
>       of the servers aren't willing.  (In this case, by "servers"
>       I'm referring to the people and the sites -- not the software).

Shoot, many of the sites are using shockwave - and that doesn't run with
my Netscape 4.03 Communicator / Sparc / X browser.  It's doubtful that
_any_ browser can browse _all_ sites on the internet...

>       Basically there are some sites that are "unfriendly."  They
>       make gratuitous use of tables, imagemaps, frames, Java applets,
>       embedded JavaScript, cookies, ActiveX, active server pages (ASP)
>       and ISAPI, and other extensions.  They hope to win in some
>       "one-up-manship" contest of "coolness."

Well lynx does let one browser sites using tables, frames, cookies, imagemaps
and a few other special extensions, so all is not hopeless.

>       There are also an increasing number of sites that require
>       SSL even for their non-secure information.  SSL is a set of
>       encryption protocols which are primarily used to provide for
>       server-authenticated (or mutually authenticated) and "secure"
>       (encrypted) access to web forms (mostly for order Pizzas
>       without shouting your credit card number to every router in
>       fifty states and a few countries).
Actually, there's no problem with folk using SSL with lynx - US citizens can
get the code to patch lynx if they so desire (read http://lynx.browser.org
when it's up for details).  I don't know if the patches are available
outside the US, but I suspect that someone can figure out how to do it.

>       The bad news, again from the site maintainers and devlopers, is
>       that they often don't provide meaningful names for their frames,
>       or within their image map files.  These are intended to be

Or even with their images.
;