lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Problems with link highlighting on bizarre terminals

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Problems with link highlighting on bizarre terminals
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 15:35:22 -0400

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:26:41 -0500 (CDT), Klaus Weide wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Zack Weinberg wrote to me:

>> >The output of `infocmp -l' might be useful.  But first, could
>> >you check whether those problems still occur with the
>> ><URL:http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/> development code?
>> >(note that installation has changed, run ./configure)
>> >
>> >Also you should check whether what the terminal emits for
>> >PgUp/PgDn/Home/End really matches what is in terminfo for
>> >key_ppage/key_npage/key_home/key_end.
>>
>> Both bugs are still present with 2.7.1ac-0.63.  The terminfo description
>> matches what the terminal emits; also, EMACS gets PgUp/PgDn/Home/End right.
>>
>> I configured with
>> $ CFLAGS="-g -O2 -mv8" ./configure --enable-debug \
>>      --with-cfg-file=/usr/local/etc/lynx.cfg
>>
>> C compiler is gcc 2.7.2.
>
>Please try 2.7.1ac-0.66.  The keypad() processing should now work.

Yup. PgUp/PgDn/Home/End now work correctly.

>> P.S. On this terminal, bold is +/- indistinguishable from normal text.  It
>> would be nice if there were a switch to render links some other way, perhaps
>> underlined?
>
>Lynx can still be compiled in a minimal, no-fancy-curses mode which uses
>only one kind of highlighting.  The configure script doesn't set this if
>it figures that the curses library can do better, but if you want to try
>it:  after configure has run, edit lynx_cfg.h and remove or comment out
>the lines with `#define FANCY_CURSES' and `define COLOR_CURSES'.
>
>You could also (instead) try to compile with -DUNDERLINE_LINKS, which
>should basically switch bold and underline.

That works well.  [BTW, the &nbsp; entities at the beginning of all the
links at http://lynx.browser.org/ get underlined in that mode, but not
highlighted.]

[snip infocmp output]
>Some of that looks a bit fishy to me.  At least in sgr (set_attributes),
>since the terminal doesn't support bold, there shouldn't be the part
>"%?%p6%t1;%;" near the end.  Try removing that.

From curses' point of view it _does_ support bold; the problem is that its
rendering of "bold text" is almost impossible to distinguish from normal
text (you can see it in test patterns if you stare hard).  A related problem
is that the cursor show/hide sequences work, but the cursor is just an
underscore, so it's almost invisible anyway.

>I don't think trn makes as much use of the info as lynx, at least it
>probably never tries to combine attributes; so if trn looks right that
>alone doesn't prove that the terminfo is correct.  Other things to try:
[snip]

I'll try them.  One thing I just noticed is that occasionally when I access
a new page, random characters that were highlighted on the previous page
remain highlighted; it's usually a whole link, but sometimes just a
character or two.

zw
;
;