lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Patch for development version 0.58

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Patch for development version 0.58
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 05:57:10 -0400 (EDT)

> > a browser.  Are you implying that other browsers will take the same html
> > page in ISO 8859-8 (or ISO 8859-6) and display it in the reverse order
> > as lynx?
>
> Yes indeed.  Or at least some of them will, for texts in some Hewbrew
> and Arabic charsets.
>
> Actually, according to one Web page I found, this should not be the case
> for charset=iso-8859-8, and pages using the "implicit" (or "logical")
> order should be labelled with charset=iso-8859-8-i; but implicit order
> also applies to Unicode text (including its encoding UTF-8) and the
> Windows and Mac Hebrew fonts.
that's what I'm assuming - though I'd thought the browser could rely on
the locale information to tell how the character-ordering would be done
(I took a quick browse through the man-pages for Solaris & didn't see where
I could get that automatically).  But I'm interested in knowing the details,
since it affects ncurses.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden